One of the big problems with expeditions and travel is the cost. With the recession, it has become increasingly difficult to find funding, even for extremely promising projects.
For those budding explorers and tropical/travel medicine scholars out there, I've put together this list of potential funding sources for your overseas projects. All have different criteria, so make sure you qualify before you apply, and please note that this list is not exhaustive. I welcome any additions to this list that you guys might have.
- Young Explorers Grant
- The Explorers Club Student Grants
- The Explorers Club Eddie Bauer Grants
- Yale/Stanford Johnson & Johnson Global Health Scholars Program
- Benjamin H. Kean Traveling Fellowship in Tropical Medicine
- Gorgas Memorial Institute Research Award
- Robert E. Shope International Fellowship in Infectious Disease
- International Society of Travel Medicine Research Award
- Wilderness Medical Society Humanitarian Aid Award